6 Practical Tips to Make Your Myanmar Trip Unforgettable
For tourists dreaming of visiting Myanmar, the good news is that tourism in Myanmar has developed a lot in last some years and there is a dramatic (and better) change in the tourist scene as compared to the early days when tourism had just started in the country. Here are a few practical tips for those who are planning to visit this incredibly beautiful country.
Gone are the days when you had to approach a Myanmar consulate to get a visa to visit the country. Now passport-holders from around 100 countries can apply for an e-visa to Myanmar which means your visa can be ready much before your traveling date just as you can book a Myanmar hotel Yangon in advance from your home country. It takes just a few days from applying to actually receiving your visa and it’s valid for up to 28 days.
Yangon Airport is your main hub of entry in Myanmar where almost all international flights arrive and depart, while Mandalay Airport has only one international flight i.e. Bangkok.
Hotels in Myanmar are amazing though they are not cheap. It’s also advisable to book a Myanmar hotel Yangon before you enter the country. You can also get extremely competitive prices from a good website.
Kyat is the currency of Myanmar but US Dollars are widely accepted and sometimes they are even required. It’s better to carry a good mix of dollars, euros and kyats, and also use credit and debit cards whenever possible.
Here are a few tips:
- Carry a major currency to get it changed to kyats. The notes should be in a good condition and should not be creased as all the notes are individually checked for flaws, creases and discoloration at currency exchange kiosks.
- Carry some US dollars as you may be asked by a few vendors to pay in that currency.
- Cash machines are available widely but they may not be always in a working condition.
5. Lovely People
People in Myanmar are lovely to make friends with. Learn a few Burmese words and try to converse with them in addition to sign language. English is widely spoken too. If the conversation leads to a sales pitch, learn to say a firm ‘no’.
6. Enjoy Food
If you are a foodie, you will be spoilt for delicious foods and even if you are a fussy eater, you will eat incredibly well in Myanmar. Restaurant scene of the country is extremely nice. And a Myanmar hotel Yangon will serve you scrumptious food. Here are some food tips.
- Enjoy local dishes in restaurants and streets. E.g. fermented tea leaf salads in restaurants, noodles at night bus stops, and a great range of salads and curries are things you should not miss.
- If you have some particular choices, tell them to chefs; they are happy to do it for tourists. E.g. if you want a little more or little less spice added to your dish or don’t want a dish sprinkled with peanuts, tell them so, and your wish will be granted.
- Enjoy fish dishes as they are incredibly delicious.
Remember these tips and make your Myanmar trip unforgettable.