Gatwick Airport – Great Tips for a Smooth Journey
If you are about to fly from Gatwick Airport, London, in the coming days, there are many things you should consider. Best thing is to plan your trip carefully right from preparation before leaving and booking a long-term Gatwick parking to shopping at the airport and entertaining yourself on the plane. Let’s see how you can plan your trip step by step.
Before You Head Towards Gatwick Airport
- Packing: You should pack your bag around a week before you fly from Gatwick Airport which necessarily includes all your travel documents. Thus, if you have forgotten anything, you can remember it and tuck in your bag during the week.
- Passport: The most important thing to do well in advance is to check expiry date of your passport which you should do right when you book your flight. This will give you enough time to renew your passport if it has already expired.
- Check-in: It is a good thing that you can now get your boarding pass printed at home so that you can go through only the security check at the airport.
- Luggage: Check with your airline what the restrictions on luggage are, well before your flight and weigh your luggage at home to ensure that it will pass the luggage limitations.
Getting to the Airport
Gatwick is well accessible through different ways; however, you should decide which transport you would take to reach there.
- Plan your route towards the airport
- Check the latest fuel prices to make the travel as economical as you can
- Book the airport parking well in advance
- Book a taxi well in advance to get the best price
- Ensure that the taxi will drop you in the designated taxi hub outside Gatwick
Coach or Train
- Check in advance whether any servicing work is going on which can impact your travel
- Ensure that you have carried your tickets if you have booked in advance
- Better look for a car hire company near Gatwick
- Check the vehicle which will transport you for any damage and safety features
At the Airport
Remember that it’s always better to reach early than late. Here are the timings when the check-in opens at Gatwick:
- Flights within the UK and Ireland: 2 hours before takeoff
- Flights within Europe: 3 hours before takeoff
- Outside Europe: 4 hours before takeoff
Also remember that security takes quite a long time to go through. So, consider that time while planning to reach the airport. Some things you can do before entering the security check to save some time are:
- Pack all liquids in a clear plastic bag
- Remove all mobile phones, tablets and laptops from your bag
- Never leave your bag unattended
- Never carry another person’s luggage during security, in departure lounge or anywhere off the plane
- Gatwick is a huge airport so keep ample time to reach your departure gate through the lounge; in other words, don’t get carried away with shopping
- Before you shop for duty-free items, check with your airline if you can carry those goods in hand luggage. Some airlines are very strict and never allow beyond one item.
- Keep attention to departure boards to know when to board the flight
- Check also if your flight is delayed
If you take all these precautions, your journey towards Gatwick Airport and from there will be hassle-free and comfortable.